This is pretty random, but seeing today is pretty much a friday, with a long weekend ahead, why not?
All you need is:
- A roll or box of Mentos (candy mints)
- and a 2-litre bottle of diet soda. Either diet or regular soda will work for this experiment, but diet soda is less sticky when you’re cleaning it up!
And all you need to do is:
- Carefully open the bottle of soda. Position the bottle on the ground so that it will not tip over.
- Unwrap the whole roll of Mentos. The goal is to drop all of the Mentos into the bottle of soda at the same time (which is trickier than it looks). One method for doing this is to roll a piece of paper into a tube just big enough to hold the loose Mentos. You’ll want to be able to position the tube directly over the mouth of the bottle so that all of the candies drop into the bottle at the same time.
- Don’t drop them into the bottle just yet! Warn the spectators to stand back. Okay, you’re going to drop all of the Mentos into the bottle at the same time and then get truckin’ (move out of the way… so long… bye- bye… hasta la vista!)
- It’s just like fireworks on the 4th of July. The spectators erupt, of course, in a chorus of ooohs and ahhhs. Someone yells out, “Do it again” and you do.
Read why this happens on this great science website.